top of page

What is a Public Adjuster?

A public adjuster (PA) represents the policyholder in the preparation, presentation, and settlement of a property insurance claims. A qualified PA has specialized expertise that can simplify and speed up the complicated, time-consuming process of making and settling an insurance claim for property damage. A PA works only for you–not an insurance company, not a roofing company, not a repair company, or a general contractor. A PA is an important protection for your rights as a policyholder. Aside from attorneys and the broker of records, public adjusters licensed by the state departments of insurance are the only type of claims adjuster that can legally represent the rights of an insured during the insurance claim process.

Image by Gabrielle Henderson

Your Rights, Our Expertise

  • Why not let a contractor handle my claim?
    In Illinois, as in many other states, it is illegal for contractors, including roofing and restoration contractors, to negotiate an insurance claim with your insurance company. This process, known as adjusting, requires specialized training, bonding, and a license issued by the State Department of Insurance. Insurance policies can be complex, and most contractors are not experienced in dealing with issues such as depreciation and co-insurance, which can affect the amount of your settlement. Furthermore, some contractors may submit low bids in the hopes of securing a job, which can limit the amount of your settlement. In Illinois, engaging in Unauthorized Public Adjusting (UPPA), which involves negotiating an insurance claim, interpreting a policy, or providing advice on demanding appraisal without a license, can have serious consequences for the insured.
  • Why not handle loss myself?
    When policyholders file a claim with their insurance company, they must provide proof of loss. However, this can be a challenge for many people who lack the necessary expertise or experience. That's where public adjusters come in. Public adjusters are licensed in the states where they operate and act as advocates for policyholders during the claims process. They have specialized knowledge of insurance policies and can help policyholders understand important concepts such as replacement costs, property repair, business income loss, and other key elements of property loss. Working with a public adjuster can improve a policyholder's chances of receiving a fair and appropriate settlement for their insurance claim.
  • What is the difference between insurance adjuster and public adjuster?
    An insurance adjuster is an individual employed by an insurance company who is responsible for evaluating and settling insurance claims. They work for the insurance company and represent their interests in the claims process. Insurance adjusters are generally responsible for investigating the cause of the loss, evaluating the extent of the damages, and determining the amount of compensation to be paid to the policyholder. A public adjuster, on the other hand, is an independent claims professional who is licensed by the state to represent policyholders in the preparation, presentation, and settlement of a property insurance claim. While insurance adjusters work for the insurance company, public adjusters work exclusively for the policyholder and are paid by the policyholder. Public adjusters possess specialized expertise and knowledge of the insurance claims process and can help policyholders navigate the complexities of filing a claim, including documenting the damage, negotiating with the insurance company, and maximizing the compensation to which the policyholder is entitled. It's important to note that both insurance adjusters and public adjusters have an important role to play in the insurance claims process, and each can provide valuable assistance to policyholders in different ways. While insurance adjusters represent the interests of the insurance company, they are still responsible for evaluating claims fairly and accurately. Policyholders are entitled to have their claims evaluated by the insurance company adjuster, but they may also choose to work with a public adjuster to ensure that they receive the maximum compensation to which they are entitled under their policy.

Whatever the cause..


Image by Chandler Cruttenden


Hurricane Damage


Need help? Let's get in touch.

What to expect from public adjuster:

Carefully review your insurance policy

Thoroughly inspect and document your loss

Work directly with your insurance company and agree on the proper amount for work

Screen Shot 2023-04-12 at 10.18.34 AM.png
bottom of page